Saturday, August 23, 2008
Peach Day '08
Time to can some peaches! I haven't canned peaches in a couple of years so we are way overdue....the problem is I got spoiled in Michigan. There are no orchards around here so the peaches come in from Colorado and are a little pricey! I discovered all this last year and ended up not canning any. This year I decided to check around with some local apple orchards to see if I could find some Michigan peaches and I got lucky. I found a place that buys from an orchard in Benton Harbor and ordered a bushel. After a couple of days sitting out on the table they were ready to go! I enlisted the help of Nate and Sarah while Natalie was napping and we got busy. They were a huge help peeling the peaches and once Natalie got up, we put an apron on her too and she felt like part of the crew! We ended up with 24 quarts, 7 jars of jelly and enough peaches left to make a pie or cobbler. Steve always says "nothing like home canned peaches" and he's right, they sure are good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment